Monday, February 26, 2007

a battle of wits



Battle Of Wits (Chi Leung 'Jacob' Cheung, 2006) - 6/10

There hasn't been any costumed battle epics that I've really like. I've seen, Musa the Warrior, Seven Swords, The Myth, and that's all I can think of right now. I was sort of recommended Battle of Wits, based on using strategy and wit to outsmart one's opponent instead of sheer numbers and brute force. Andy Lau as Ge Li, a Mozi warrior protecting the small city of Liang plays the character with conviction. And those are the only things going for this film.

The battle sequences are typically seen in other films of the same genre (listed above). At times, the close up battles were shaky and choppy. It had some great shots though, like the panned and distant shots capturing the soldiers in formation.
The problems with these type of films, for me anyway is the lack of involvement I feel with the characters and the story. With the exception of Lau, the supporting actors fell flat (on their faces......no, they just weren't exciting).

No comments: